Are you moving from one apartment to another?  Or you may have just stayed at your friend’s place initially and now you are ready to rent your own place. Or better yet, you have bought your own house and are moving in. Congratulations on your move.


Picture source: Wikimedia

Now about the logistics, for non-immigrants, it is important that you update the official records with your new address.  Here are few places that you must update your records:

USCIS: Did you know that you have to update your address with the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).  Yes, even when your move is within the same city (or same apartment complex) it is your responsibility to keep the USCIS records update. You have to complete and submit Form AR11 within 10 days of your move.  You can do this online.  Here is the link:

LCA: Labor Condition Application applies to employees working in USA on a non-immigrant visa (like H1B or L1).  You have to have LCA on file for EACH location you work in.  If your move is to a different city or State, you have to ensure that you update your LCA.  Your immigration lawyer will be able to help you with this. Remember that LCA needs to be on file BEFORE you start working in the new location (if it is a new city, new client location or a new employer).

USPS: This applies to both citizens and non-immigrants alike. You have to update your address with United States Postal Services whenever you move so that your mail is forwarded to your new address. You can do this online:


Picture source: Wikimedia

DMV: If you have a license in US you have to update your new address within 30 days of your move with your Department of Motor Vehicle and have a new license with new address issued. Make sure to carry proof of your new address before getting the license re-issued. Our favorite site is all the DMV related information.

Banks, credit card and investment institutions: Update your address with your bank, credit card and investment  company.  You can do this online or by calling your financial institution, some places may need you to visit in person to make the change, so ensure to call them before you move (if moving to another city/State).

Employer: It is important that your address is up-to-date with your employer (or school if you are a student). You can just contact your HR to see how this can be done.

Insurance records: Your vehicle and health insurance records need to be updated.  You can do this by calling them or online.

Online accounts:  If you have accounts with, or other similar online shopping places, ensure you DELETE the old address.  Since we are creatures of habit, we may inadvertently click the old address while shopping.  To avoid inconvenience, delete the old address and update your new address.

Most of the above apply to citizens, green card holders and non-immigrants alike, however, non-immigrants have to follow some of these updates diligently to avoid any complications.